Breast MRI, Oh myyyyy…

Well they sure didn’t let moss grow over that referral.

I got a phone call on Friday late afternoon and my BrMRI is scheduled for this Monday morning at 10am.

My entire life I’ve been freaking out about “the MRI”.  All I knew is that you were put on a table that slid up into a long tube where it was noisy and a super tight fit.

This is what I pictured in my mind:

scan0087

You can imagine that someone as claustrophobic as I am would be having a heart attack at the prospect of having this test done.  I was shaking and in tears when Dr. M told me that it was the best way to get the information she needed.  My logic and desire to get this cancer shit over with prevailed and I was willing to do the above.

Thank GOD for a little site called YouTube.   I decided to be brave and do a search for Breast MRI and found many videos put together by hospitals to show what a Breast MRI actually looked like.

This is what is now in my head after watching those videos:

scan0086

It looks just like a PET scan with a little bit of a longer tube.  For Breast MRIs, you place your breasts into a sling and you are lying on your stomach but not flat on your stomach.  Your hands are out in front of you hanging on to a bar (and a panic button).  It really doesn’t look that bad and with the fact that I’ll be facing down and forward instead of facing up into the tube, I’ll definitely be more relaxed.

The Ativan I’m taking every night and the morning of should also be helpful!

There has been one drawback.  Since I’ve watched those videos, I can’t get this song out of my head:

Fight On!   and FIGHT ON USC!  We beat Boston College!!!!

Advertisements

12 Comments on “Breast MRI, Oh myyyyy…”

1. You are one awesome woman, you can do this!!

xoxo
    joyceeeeeeeee

2. Barb says:

Pam put some headphones on with some good music. This might make time go quicker. Will be thinking of you. I too get that closed in feeling. Ciao Barbara

Sent from my iPad

3. mindy says:

You are awesome!! I got claustrophobic just getting an mri on my knee so can’t imagine what you’re facing. Have you ever thought about writing a book?? Your blogs are a riot. They give me my giggle for the day!!! Love you♥♡♥♡

• Pam says:

Thanks Mindy! I have thought of writing a book but this’ll have to do until I’m all done with this 🙂 I’m glad I’m making you laugh. I can reread some of this stuff and laugh about it myself. Good therapy.

4. Heather says:

Wow–I always had the upper image in my head, too! Nice illustrations! I was just telling Matt he needs to see Beaches, even though it is always described as a “chick flick.” It was great to be reminded of that movie so unexpectedly. :o) You got this, Pam, and just remember, you have a lot of people thinking about you, so turn those good thoughts into the energy and strength you need to pass this hurdle. You can do it!
    -Heather

5. I hate, hate the breast MRI. Did i mention i hate the breast mri??? Its like your a cow getting milked!!!! I know a man invented that damn machine. I’ve has 3 of the so far, last one I took 3 zanex and feel asleep lol in contrast to the first one I had a small panic attach which I some how meditated my way out of. Good luck with your results!!

• Pam says:

Thanks! I’ve been taking Ativan all weekend and am about to take more. I feel slightly numb. The nervousness came back this morning but I’m sure I’ll be fine. 3 MRIs – SUCK!

6. mindy says: