Radioactive again

Yep, I’m a small danger to small children and preggos.

This is the second time in two weeks that I’ve been radioactive – I’m thinking that the goal might be to turn me into a human glow stick. If so, I’d like to be a pink one.

Today was my PET/CT. I had one in 8/2013 but I was still pretty nervous. Once I got there and remembered the routine, I settled down and it all went easy-peasy. I just had two little issues:

1. One of my oldest and bestest friends happened to be at USC for a doctor appointment and her appointment ended right as my mom and I got to the PET waiting room. No sooner did I get called back, she showed up and ended up chatting with my mom until I was done (seriously, about an hour and a half!). So while I was lying down waiting for the radioactive crap to go through my system (1 hour), I was a little pissed that I wasn’t out there chatting. Grrrr.

2. While I was in the machine, I had to keep my arms above my head and it reminded me of superman. So I started humming the theme song. Then I remembered all the techs could hear me and I started to laugh. Then I remembered I wasn’t supposed to move. So through the whole thing I was stifling giggles. I think a round of “This is Halloween” from nightmare before Christmas was sung too.

As you can tell, everything went well.

After that, we went to my surgeon appointment. My tumor has been growing and getting stabby painful and I wanted her to take a look. She did and we had a nice chat.

1. I told her about my issue with the other doctor. Apparently the other doc talked to my surgeon and it turned out that the onc was just super frustrated, but not at me. So I’m going to let it go (you know you want to sing) but if the attitude continues, I’ll have to switch.

2. The PET I did today should answer any questions about my cancer status and if my back and arm pain are due to cancer and not just a pinched nerve. The results should be available by the end of the week. Next Thursday, all my scans and tests will be presented to the tumor board. All the docs there will come up with options to consider going forward. If my cancer hasn’t spread, there are a few surgical options and/or a new medicine called an aromase inhibitor.

But basically, it’s all up in the air until after next Thursday.

I’m cool with all this. From all my reading and interactions on my support groups, this is all pretty normal.

FIGHT ON USC! BEAT CAL!!!

Off to KINKY BOOTS tomorrow. Always remember, the sex is in the heel.

Advertisements

14 Comments on “Radioactive again”

1. Diana Keim says:

Love you Pam!! Enjoy the Kinky Boots!!!

2. Barbara DiCarlo says:

I continue to pray for you journey to a healthy life! You are a strong woman who I admire. Sorry you have had to deal with so much shit. I love you! Barbara

3. Karen Stember says:

No doubt you are one superwoman Pam! While you wait out a week for all these results I’m glad you have some fun times ahead. Have a kinky birthday week. πŸ™‚

4. elizabeth lamar says:

Wow! What an experience. You and I are alike in this : I was at the dentist today – X-rays, drilling, onlay of one tooth. One of the guys is named Rene Canal. He said “like root canal”. I responded that I was thinking of boats. When they left me alone a bit, I nearly began singing “The Erie Canal”. Probably good they don’t have us in the same locale. I later told him to be sure and not sign his name on any papers as R. Canal at the office. So, Pam, we are both radiating and full of song. A week of waiting. Will it seem long?

5. mindy Brown says:

Pink glow stickπŸ˜‚ The humming in the PET was at least a light moment . . . the waiting for results yet again SUCKS😠😬 You are one amazing woman who is loved so much by so many. I’ll be keeping good thoughts til results come in. Love you

6. Lori Lewis says:

I realize this makes me a horrible person, but the prevailing thought in my mind right now is:

“Aromase inhibitor” sounds like something one would use when they’re stinky.

I know…. but, disclaimer: It’s 530am and I’ve had no coffee, so…

Jokes aside, I knew you’d nail the scan (didn’t bank on the soundtrack though) πŸ˜‰ and I’m glad you’re not super stressed about it and are focused on your birfday instead. All of us who love you are flooding the universe with happy, healthy hopes for you – you WILL have a good outcome.

Love you, kinky birfday girl! Have FUN at the show!

xoxo

7. Penny Korn says:

Yay Pam! Sounds like the pet scan went great. Wouldn’t you just love to be behind that booth and hear what people say (or sing) while it takes an hour for them to do their test πŸ™‚ Looks like I’m joining the club. The two small spots I had were negative, but the large one is malignant 😦
    It is ductal cancer. I will know more when I meet for a consult with my gyno today and then I have my appointment with the cancer/breast specialist/surgeon next week on the 18th.
    ENJOY Kinky Boots!!
    Prayers please,
    Penny

• Pam says:

That’s the cancer I have! Sisters!!!!!

No seriously, I’m sorry that you’ve joined the club. But you’ve got this!!! If you want a recommendation for a fantastic surgeon/oncologist, let me know. Norris is awesome!!!

Please keep us posted and if you have any questions, please give me a call!

Prayers always. πŸ™

8. Joyce cushnie says:

Thinking about you and hoping for good news!
    And Happy early,birthday!! Enjoy all the kinky boots!!