Surgery is a Go-GO

This is going to be a shorter post than usual.  I see one of my surgeons tomorrow who will give me more details.

The PET/CT that I had a week or so ago came back with fantastic results.  My tumor is a bit larger but there is no evidence of cancer anywhere else.  Hurrah!!!

Because of that, my surgeon, oncologist and now, surgeon #2 decided that this is optimal time for surgery.

Surgery Date:  December 2nd.

Type of Surgery:  Left side Mastectomy and full axillary dissection.

This means that instead of getting rid of the one or two lymph nodes that are affected, they are scooping out the entire set.  Apparently there is a fat glob in your underarms that hold all of your lymph nodes, so they carefully scoop out that fat glob after separating certain blood vessels and nerves from it.

It could mean that I will have no sensation under my arm for forever.

They will put a compression binder on me post-surgery to help with any bleeding and to hold me together and that has to stay on (except for showers and to launder it) for 2-3 weeks.   I’m not allowed out of the house until my drain comes out which could be a week or two post surgery.  I will have to go to Physical Therapy to regain mobility in my arm and they say that gets better in about 6 weeks.  If all goes well, I will be out of the hospital that Friday the 5th.

One awesome thing is that since my case is so complicated, it won’t be just my surgeon with an intern to help.  The head of oncology surgery is going to assist my surgeon – one can do the breast part while the other can do the lymph nodes.  This takes my surgery from 2 hours to a possible 1 hour.  Yay!

People have been asking what they can do or bring.  Right now, I just need prayers (healing energy, etc..) for a successful surgery and recovery with extra prayers on Tuesday for my surgeons.

So, it’s countdown time!   What a great Christmas gift to be cancer-free!!!!

Oh, and we shall not speak of the football debacle that occurred against fUCLA.  Only positive vibes here 🙂

FIGHT ON!

Advertisements

14 Comments on “Surgery is a Go-GO”

1. elizabeth lamar says:

It sounds like such a positive go-ahead. I was interested in learning about the post surgery care. Interesting. I send healing imagery along with my daily prayer for you.

2. Barb says:

Sent from my iPad

3. Barbara DiCarlo says:

Pam don’t see the message I sent so will send again. So happy for you! I will hold good thoughts and send prayers your way. Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving! Stay away from sick people. You know you can count on me if you or mama need some help. God bless you and may you be up and well very soon. Cancer go away, cancer be gone! Love you, Barbara

4. Penny Korn says:

Love you Pam, love to hear those positive vibes coming from you!! You go girl, and all my prayers, love and white light, etc. will be with you and those around you as you begin your next journey in this fight 🙂

5. Karen Stember says:

Yeah Pam!!! This is MUCH better news than UCLA beating your USC. I’m home all of December so if there is ANYTHING you or your mama need just give a call. Perhaps you’ll be up for one more Taco Tuesday this week before you go into isolation…..which this time is a good thing 🙂 And yes, positive thoughts and prayers too coming your way.

• Pam says:

If there’s a taco Tuesday this week, I’m in! I’m totally focused on being better for Lona’s cookie party 🙂

Pamela Muzyka Sent from my iPad

6. mindy Brown says:

Sounds like great news.. .especially the “cancer free” part😁😀 You know that I’ll be around I’d either you or your mom need anything at all . . . Pre surgery n post surgery. I’ll be sending healing thoughts your way. Love you, Mindy

7. Stacy Kennedy says:

Great news! Hey, now you’ll only be ticklish on one side!

8. Heather says:

Healing thoughts and energy coming your way as requested–not that anyone has ever stopped sending them! This is good news, Pam! I love you and look forward to hearing about the post-surgery healing process. FIGHT ON!

9. Lori Lewis says:

*Waving and flipping off Pam’s soon-to-be-ex-cancer*

“Bye now! Don’t come back now, ya hear? And don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!”

Joking aside, am thrilled that 2015 will begin and end (as will all subsequent years) cancer free.

New lease on life!!!!